Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Have Joined a Bookclub

I have joined a bookclub.
My sewing machine broke while I was attempting to turn a painters sheet and a hula hoop into a change room for my market stall.
I have been a little bored and haven't happened accross a good book for a while.

So when a friend of a friend started an online bookclub I jumped at the chance.
We read 'The Great Gatsby"
I have read this before, in highschool, but it never really grabbed me.
It's a quick and easy read.
I am interested to see what the other bookclub members have to say about it.
I am not quite sure what Mr Fitzgerald was trying to get at.
Perhaps "don't be fooled, there are no happy endings" or perhaps this was his version of a happy ending.
Why do they make highschool students read this book?
I might have to read what Wikipedia has to say on the matter.

Have you read 'The Great Gatsby"
What do you think F Scott Fitzgerald was trying to say to everyone?

2 comments:

Evee and Avy said...

Hi, I was recently invited to join a book club but haven't read that book yet. Will have to suggest it for the next read. We are reading The Other Boleyn Sister at the moment and it is a fascinating read if you haven't read it yet. Happy reading! Sorry your machine broke...that's one of my greatest fears!

Richard Rose said...

I have read "The Great Gatsby" but it was so long ago that I can't actually remember the ending. It didn't leave much of an impression on me at all. Maybe I should re-read it now that I'm little more mature.